Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Boy Oh Boy...

Like many twenty-something girls, fashion is a huge part of my life. I suppose I've really only developed my own style that I feel entirely comfortable in very recently. I would describe my style as mildly androgynous and chic. For those who do not know, androgyny can be described as blurring the line between male and female characteristics, particularly in fashion. I like to describe it in leymen's terms, as dressing like a boy - at least that's what I say to my friends.

I guess my love for this trend was inspired by style and fashion guru, Barbara - The Persian Babe (her YouTube channel is to die for - I'm utterly addicted!) Her love for the men's section in high street shops (particularly Topman) allowed me to explore a different shopping experience.

Designers have always made use of gorgeous models to showcase their androgynous collections - think Kate Moss, Agyness Deyn and an old school Linda Evangelista. Also, Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj love a bit of androgyny channelled through their alter-egos Joe Calderone and Roman Zolanski.





But that's not to say we mere mortals cannot rock this look too. It doesn't have to be scary or extreme. It can be subtle; as I said, I dress only mildly androgynous. Here are my favourite pieces for 'dressing like a boy':


Barbour Jacket with Tartan Lining - £199 - ASOS

Check Blazer with Elbow Patches - £65 - ASOS

Oversized Denim Shirt - £55 - American Apparel

May Snaffle Loafers - &32 - Topshop

High Waisted Chinos - £38 - Topshop

Basically, think anything tailored such as blazers and chinos, mixed with high collered shirts. Or even a cute floral or lace dress teamed with white socks, chunky loafers or brogues and a oversized denim jacket or parka. Don't be afraid to go scouring the mens section of Urban Outfitters, New Look, Zara and other high-street outlets to give your outfit that boyish feel. This trend will see you straight through spring until summer and if you're unsure, just ensure you keep your hair, make-up and jewllery really girly and feminin. Or take advantage of girly pastel colours which are set to be EVERYWHERE this spring - giving you the best of both worlds!

2 comments:

  1. I love the AA shirt! Love your blog, I'm following now :) Feel free to check out mine and enter my free MAC cosmetics giveaway!

    Laura x
    Petit Chatons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear :) I'll check it out. x

      Delete